Antique N.B. TYLER Half-Stock .36 Caliber Percussion American LONG RIFLE
Ohio HUNTING/HOMESTEAD Long Rifle
Here we present an antique N.B. Tyler Half Stock Long Rifle, made circa the mid-19th Century in Vienna, Ohio. The Tyler Rifle Works, established in Vienna Township in 1852 by Nathan Bailey Derrow Tyler, manufactured rifles, shotguns, pistols, ammunition, hunting knives, gun barrels and trimmings. He also served for a time as Vienna’s postmaster. The gun works was located on the southwest corner of Vienna Center. In this building Tyler had earlier operated a hotel. The owner of Tyler Rifle Works and a fine marksman in his own right, N. B. Tyler, moved the business to Warren, Ohio in 1867. The business was active in Warren until 1891.
This one has an octagonal barrel is in .36 caliber, large enough to take small to medium sized game or to defend the homestead against unwanted aggression. It also has a double set trigger made by M.M. Fehr, a member of a family of gunsmiths from the Easton, Filetown, Nazareth, and Allentown parts of Pennsylvania. The lock is by Whitmore Wolff Duff & Co of Pittsburgh. Rifle manufacture in the mid-to-late 19th Century was rapidly changing over from thousands of craftsmen all over the United States and on the Frontier making and selling their wares, to the large factories with standardized assembly lines and modern manufacturing techniques.
This one has the maker’s name “N.B. TYLER” on the top barrel flat in addition to “HBC”. The latter initials tie into the stamped note on the top tang of the butt plate, which is: “FROM MY G G FATHER HENRY HARKLERODE H. B. CHINNOCK”. Henry Harklerode was from Ellswoth township in Mahoning County, Ohio. His father had been a pioneer from Connecticut and settled in Trumbull Country. Records say that he hewed a farm from out of the dense forest and spent the rest of his days there, reaching old age. When Henry came of age and struck out on his own he purchased a piece of land in the wilderness to the northeast of Champion township where he and his brother built a log cabin, living off the bounty of the land. The record states that he was an expert marksman and that the game was plentiful. He walked to his father’s in Ellsworth every Sunday and returned to his own homestead every Monday. He married and the account notes how they farmed flax and his wife made artful clothing for the children. Their son Preston’s daughter, Lavern, married C. C. Chinnock, and they had two children, Herbert and Maude. Herbert was the recipient of this rifle. The account from the history of Trumbull County contains even further fascinating details, but this is a small summary that paints an idyllic American frontier picture about the history of this rifle and the people who owned and used it.
The overall condition is very good. Clean and clearly still in use. The action is excellent. The bore is in good condition with strong rifling. The nipple bolster and nipple are a replacement, and the bolster has a guard to prevent flash pitting and burning of the area surrounding. There is a small, repaired split at the head of the lock screw and a longer crack filled in the forearm on the right side. All is stable. This is a very handy and light gun at 7.4 lbs., so very well-suited walking and stalking given its weight and profile.
Own the original! This is a legitimate antique and not a reproduction.
Barrel is 32-3/8 inches.
Caliber: .36 Percussion (land to land)
Overall condition as seen in photos.
Very Fast. Very Safe. FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE. Delivered directly to your door by express mail!
Guaranteed AUTHENTIC & Includes CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY.